Well tonight was perplexing. I didn't actually do anything but while doing nothing, I felt like I got a lot done. For some reason I have been dreading the putting the flaps on the wing (I think it's because working with piano hinge scares me...). I started out the night with lots of head scratching and finished the night with this. No no, the flap's not really attached, it's just sitting up there with some clamps. It turns out mounting the flaps really isn't that bad.
First I wanted a secure way to keep the aileron in it's neutral position. This was the sturdiest, most clamp-economical way I could come up with to do it. What I did was set the aileron in neutral position, then just clamped this scrap piece of aluminum to both the main skin and the aileron skin. This held it very sturdily in neutral position the whole night despite me wiggling and hitting the aileron. I give it my recommendation.
Then I actually put the flap on the wing and started lining it up. The plans call for a 1/4" gap between flap and aileron and as far as I can tell that's what I've got. Also of note is how the trailing edges of the aileron and flap line up exactly. This took lots of work to get this far.
At this point, I left it alone and called it a night. I didn't want to start drilling the hinge just yet. I want to sleep on it, come back tomorrow and look over the plans again, then re-measure everything and then drill the hinge. It all looks good right now but it can't hurt just to be sure, plus it's one more day I can procrastinate on drilling the hinge. I don't like piano hinge.
|Last Update: 25 May 2012|